Starting a new grow journal with Wedding Cake, Tropicana Cookies, Pink Lemonade and GG4. These are big plants vegged for about 2 months. They were started in 3 gallon smart pots but later these were dropped into 5 gallon nursery pots. Lighting is 750w of Cree COB LEDs.
I am running the full New Millenium Nutrient line and these girls just recieved their first dose of New Millenium Decision which helps slow stretch and initiate earlier flowering. They will be flipped later today so stay tuned for updates.
Wedding Cake Genetics
There is some confusion about the genetics of Wedding Cake. Some sources say it’s a Girl Scout Cookies and Cherry Pie cross but this is not totally correct. My cut is from JBeezy the breeder of this strain and he says it is Triangle Kush X Animal Mints. (Animal Cookies X thin mint GSC)
Wedding Cake is on the far left.
The Tropicana Cookies is hard to find much information on. Some say it’s GSC crossed with Clementine and others say it’s GSC x Tangie. All I really know is it is supposed to be purple so it will be fun to grow it.
Pink Lemonade is another strain with uncertain genetics. Supposedly a purple kush x lemon skunk and a mystery plant. So again it will be fun to grow it out and see how it does.
By now everyone is familiar with GG4 so I wont go into the genetics. All I can say is this plant is huge going into flower and should yield really well. Potent is an understatement.
Wedding Cake, Tropicana Cookies, Pink Lemonade, GG4 Day 7
My plants are doing well and the top feed drip system I built is working like a charm. I am feeding New Millenium Nutrients and using rockwool croutons for a medium.
Right now I feed once a day for about 15 minutes and am running about 800 ppm and pH 5.8, as the plants continue to grow I will probably add a second feeding.
If you have used regular rockwool you know how much water it can hold, but the mini cubes are nothing like that. They wet fast and also drain fast because of all the air space between them.
More importantly with the long top feed I am using there is no salt build up in the pots. Everything gets fully fed and flushed when I feed. What is in the cubes is exactly what is in my reservoir. No surprises and no lockouts. My pH has stayed stable.
For the first time feeding and watering is working as it should. Every feeding the ppms drop and the pH rises a bit.
Currently I have just fed New Millenium Decision again at the start of week 2. It definitely helps keep stretch down and helps plants set flowers instead of growing stems. These plants are really large and keeping size in check is important. As it is I need to stand on a 5 gallon bucket to get to the tops. There are 2 more weeks of stretch and I only have about another 18 inches of headroom. I would prefer to not have to super crop if I can avoid it.
Here are some day 7 pictures:
Day 10 Leaf Strip
I did a leaf strip on day 10. Normally I wait until days 14-21 to do this. I have a huge GG4 and it has over 50 tops. This led to crowding and some tops were not getting much light at all. I could also feel moisture when I put my hand into that jungle. So there was no putting it off.
I removed all uprights that had not made it to the screen or that were unlikely to. That helped but it was obvious more was needed. So everything got defoliated a bit earlier than usual.
I dont play at leaf stripping either. When I do it I remove every leaf that has a stem except 2 or 3 on the very top of the branches. For some reason I forgot to take before and after pictures but I am happy with the results and have pictures taken 4 days later.
Leaf Stripping Recovery Day 15
Leaf Stripping will always set your plants back a few days while they recover but the results are worth it. You can see the plants in this video at https://youtu.be/R79BTVtXiA8 if you want and if you go there please subscribe to my new channel.
Here is a video showing the defoliation:
Meanwhile here are some pics taken on the start of day 15: